Joel and Ethan Coen have been the most prolific and successful American film writers/directors of the last thirty-four years since their debut in 1984. In this course we will discuss two films made almost twenty years apart: The Big Lebowski (1998) and Hail, Caesar (2016). We will examine what these films have in common with each other and with other Coen Brothers films. Class discussions will refer to the films and critical writing about them. Students may also make their own presentations about other films by the Coen Brothers that they have viewed in their free time.
(1) Introduction: The films of the Coen Brothers, discussion of books about their films and reviews of their films
(2) The Big Lebowski 1. Synopsis. Viewing of selected scenes. Discussion.
(3) The Big Lebowski 2. Viewing of selected scenes. Discussion.
(4) The Big Lebowski 3. Discussion of assigned readings.
(5) Hail, Caesar 1. Synopsis. Viewing of selected scenes. Discussion.
(6) Hail, Caesar 2. Viewing of selected scenes. Discussion.
(7) Hail, Caesar 3. Discussion of assigned readings.
(8) Student presentations, final discussions
専攻 ： Literature and Linguistics, Education
成城大学 企画調整室 （「成城 学びの森」事務局）
〒157-8511 東京都世田谷区成城6-1-20 Tel.03-3482-9031 Fax.03-3482-9467