The autumn session will continue on a theme covered in the spring session. Previously, we discussed how energy and environmental policy options present some very difficult questions regarding their risks and benefits. In the autumn session, we will study segments of several films that portray aspects of this dilemma. All of the films chosen are based on real events. Some of them take the form of narrative stories, while others are documentaries.
(1) Shadowmakers : Scientists become instruments of national defense.
(2) The Battle of Chernobyl : The disagreement over the health effects of radiation.
(3) Chernobyl Heart : The work of private charities in helping Chernobyl victims.
(4) Erin Brokovich : How individuals fight back, and sometimes win.
(5) The Insider : The personal cost of being a whistleblower.
(6) A Civil Action : How class action lawsuits proceed in America.
(7) Bhopal : A Prayer for Rain. Who is entitled to tell the victims' stories?
(8) Student Presentations
More information and links to resources will be posted on the course web page: http://www.themindseye.ca/opencollege/opencollege.html
成城大学 企画調整室 （「成城 学びの森」事務局）
〒157-8511 東京都世田谷区成城6-1-20 Tel.03-3482-9031 Fax.03-3482-9467